Unionville's home vineyard is an 88.7 acre farm that had originally been part of the largest peach orchard in the United States. The farm was split off as a dowry present when one of the original owner's daughters was married in 1856. The main house and the oldest section of the winery building were built in 1858. In the heart of America’s Colonial Crescent, Unionville Vineyards offers breathtaking natural beauty, bountiful terroir, historic significance and award-winning artisanal wines. The land of Unionville itself is a rich patchwork of American history. George Washington led his troops over much of this area and camped nearby on the grounds that now nourish some of our finest vines.
Just south of Unionville, he led the Colonial Army to cross the icy Delaware River and change the course of history. As the new nation grew, this became a mighty agricultural region, boasting vast fruit orchards followed by thousands of Dairy Farms. When a “rust” blight hit the peach industry in Hunterdon County after the Civil War, the orchards here and throughout the County converted to apples. In 1900 the farm was sold and became a successful dairy farm. In 1965 the farm was sold to developers who originally had it planted in grains.
The developers sold the property in the late 1960s; it remained in grains and was used for raising horses. The property was purchased in 1980 with the goal of saving the farm, returning the land to its fruit growing tradition and starting the Unionville Vineyards. The first Unionville vines were planted in 1987 and the winery opened to the public on April 1, 1993. Unionville Vineyards is a collection of four farms with over 300 acres of preserved farmland and is currently operated by a group of local landowners, deeply committed to growing the finest grapes, preserving the pristine rural landscape, the tradition of sustainable land use, the local community and the craft of artisan winemaking.
Sign up to be the first to hear about our events!